Pieris japonica root death

annapolisplantsNovember 12, 2011

hi everyone,

i bought a pieris japonica 'flaming silver' from lazy ss farm. it arrived in excellent shape, with a good root system. i loosened up the root ball, potted it into a larger container, set it in a part sun spot that i thought was ideal. watered it weekly. during the summer it lost most of its top growth and when i went to plant it now, in the fall, i see that it didn't grow any new roots at all -- in fact the root ball was substantially smaller than when it arrived.

what did i do wrong? i seem to lose rhododendrons like this too. does anyone know what i should do NOW to encourage the plant to live?

thanks so much, fellow gardeners!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I don't think that a once-per-week watering would be nearly sufficient for a containerized plant in the summer.

Another factor could be the type of potting medium you are using.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 11:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I bet Rhizo got it. You don't say where you live, whether you checked soil moisture regularly, etc, but I know that if I only watered my container grown plants once a week during summer, they'd all be toast.

BTW, the reason you haven't gotten many responses, and didn't get a response earlier, is that your post is in the gallery section (typically reserved for pictures) and probably hasn't gotten many views.

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Need thorny suggestions
I'm looking for thorny/annoying plants to put under...
Mary Townsend
Converting Mature Escallonia Bush to Large In-ground Bonsai Tree Form
I have two Escallonia shrubs that are 20 years old....
misterleadfoot_z9
Protecting Rabbiteye Blueberry bushes from freeze
I'm in Raleigh NC and we're forecasted to get below...
northraleighguy
What is this shrub? How much can I prune it.
I live in North Carolina and have lived in my current...
wendync
Plant Identification help. Junipers?
What is this massive plant? Thanks! And what should...
nedreyerson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™