Chocolate Bell Peppers from seed

katkeeper36March 11, 2013

Hey everyone...I see people questioning all the time about growing Bell Peppers from seed. Alot of people seem to complain about long germination rates and looking for hints/pointers on bettering their productivity. Last year I started them along with my tomatoes and I was picking all green ones just b4 the frost here in New England. So this year I wanted an early jump on them ...

Just an FYI...i started my Bells 5 days ago. Dr. Earth potting soil in old yougurt plastic cups with holes in the bottom. 2 inch propagation dome/no lights all atop a seedling heating mat...5 days, no additional watering and 5 of the 12 have popped as of this morning.

Hope everyone has a great week...peace.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Snowbound Gardener

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Congrats on your success! I agree and usually start my peppers at least 2-3 weeks before my tomatoes since they do tend to be slow to germinate and even slower to grow.

Enjoy your peppers. :)

Dave

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 6:39PM
claydirt(5)

Hoo Haa! Great news! 5 days is FAST. Heating is the magic ingredient.

Last year my peppers from seed were a total flop. But I'm on the right track now. I started 60 seeds (6 seeds * 10 different kinds of peppers) on 02-26-2013. 12 days into it, I have 65% to 70% germination with plants at or above soil level. That's over twice as many as I have room for in the garden (and about 40 more seeds than germinated last year). Help! It worked too good!

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 7:19PM
katkeeper36

Thanks, I'm only a 3rd year gardener....but I'm learning. I love experimenting with different plants and reading on others experiences. Alot of what I've read is to expect up to 21 days for germination. So I figured I'd share my story.

I've seen alot of people questioning (in this forum) the heating mats. I keep my heat in the house around 60-62 and this mat is on my kitchen table on top of a folded towel.
The mat is big enough to fit 2 full seed trays on....or one tray and a large orange cat. I would say they are TOTALLY worth the money ( so far ). Each year you use it the cost just keeps going down.

Thaks for the pos feedback...hope anything I've shared helps someone else...

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 8:50PM
madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)

Those are the two secrets... a heating mat, plus figure out how many plants you want and plant AT LEAST twice that many seeds!

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 8:16PM
katkeeper36

One week after sprouting...heat mats off. T5's on 16-18 hrs a day.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
Nasturtium from seed
hi, i'm currently planting some nasturtium seeds (about...
rosche
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™