When and Where to Pinch

joytwo1839(z6 TN)March 27, 2008

I have Sunflowers, Zinnias, Cleome,Squash, and Cucumbers

in flats. I know you are supposed to wait until the first true leaves (the second set?) and then you pinch or do you wait until it has three sets and pinch off the top set. This really shouldn't be this difficult. I'm just trying to do it the "right" way this time/

I can't figure out why, but I cannot get those short, full plants like everyone else. Mine are always tall and thin.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hi joy - not everything should be pinched you know? ;) This is especially true for vegetables.

Sunflowers? Guess it depends on the variety but most of the large classic sf I am familiar with are single woody stem varieties that won't tolerate pinching. Can't help you with the cleome as I have never grown them from seed, but I do have several varieties of zinnias growing and only a few of them require any topping.

Perhaps, if you are having difficulty with consistently tall, thin transplants, then the real cause is insufficient light rather than the 'need to pinch'. Possible?

But if you wish to pinch things then go with a snip just above the junction of the main stem and the second set of true leaves (so 2 sets remain on the plant). Hope this is of help to you.

Dave

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 4:45PM
dirtbert(z4)

No pinching needed on the cleome either, it grows on a single woody stem similar to sunflowers.

Not enough light is usually the culprit to "leggy" plants.
Also, a very gentle fan in the area of the growing seedlings also encourages stronger stem growth.

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 10:55PM
ornata(London UK (8/9?))

... No need to pinch Cleome, but you can do it if you want bushy plants.

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 11:13AM
joytwo1839(z6 TN)

So, if it grows on one woody stem, don't pinch? Can you give me a couple of yes and no?
I hate to be dumb but I want to be really good by the time I get a "real" greenhouse

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 10:56AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Honestly, most things don't require any pinching. It isn't a health issue but simply an appearance issue and so it's need is purely subjective. So, general guidelines:

If something is long, leggy, lanky, droopy as a result of too little growing light then transplant it deeply instead of pinching (unless it is a bulb or rhizome) and increase the light it gets.

NO: definitely not vegetables (exception noted below), woody single stem plants, tomatoes, peppers, fall flowering plants or shrubs, morning glories, vining plants, some rose varieties, anything grown from a bulb or rhizome

YES: (optional only, not required) geraniums, begonias, fuchsias, snap dragons, ivy, coleus, house plants, members of pumpkin/squash family that are the vining varieties only after well established in the garden - more female blooms develop on the side shoots.

Dave

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
looking for nifty ideas for cross ventilation
I need a very basic solution to providing some cross...
njitgrad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™