Ruscus microglossus, butcher's broom

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)January 22, 2013

I though I was trading house plants with someone, but that's obviously a subjective term and I didn't post to discuss the semantics of that, but rudimentary research leads me to believe this is a hardy evergreen "shrub" that likes dry shade. Interesting, possibly useful... under oaks where the grass won't grow... Encountering the phrase "creeping rhizomes" scares me. Sounds like this entity makes a patch, not a single plant.

Any info, anecdotes, pics, opinions welcome, TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Sounds like you have the specifics down pretty well. They're often planted in containers / window-boxes (maybe that's where the "houseplant" thought came from?). They are pretty adaptable as far as light exposure and soil moisture goes. You could plant it in an open-bottomed container if you don't want it to spread out, but this plant is not a garden thug, so I would find the proper place and let it be all it can be. You can always remove any that oversteps its boundary. The one exception to this might be consideration of damage, during overgrowth removal, to other trees' roots if you plant it under / near a big tree.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 8:38PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Thanks, Brandon, I appreciate it.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 8:54AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

PIG soon after this discussion. Pic from a few days ago. It's blooming, though I don't think it's grown since it arrived in AL. Hopefully it will survive the record-breaking cold expected tonight, near single-digits.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™