Climbing rose advice

dregaeFebruary 3, 2010

I am trying to decide what climbing roses would be best for my area. I live on the ohio river in Jeffersonville Indiana. I have only lived here 2 and a half years, but the winters seem fairly mild, and summers are humid and we get lots of rain.

I am unsure what species would do best here. I prefer very vigourous climbers in pinks and whites. Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dregae

PS. Where are the best place to purchase climbers??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
york_rose

Well, since pinks & whites are the most common rose colors you'll have more choices than you can think about. :)

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 6:26PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

How vigorous are you talking about? You could go with John Cabot or William Baffin for the pinks. Those are very hardy for your winters too.
Do you want them to bloom repeatedly, because many are one time bloomers that will bloom in spring.
I believe that karl_bapst_rosenut lives in Indiana. He may have better ideas about your climbers. He is very knowledgeable about roses.
I'm not sure about the white climbers. Alba Maxima may be good but I think it's a spring bloomer only. Maybe you could try climbing iceberg.
There are several great places to purchase climbing roses. Rogue Valley roses, Pickering nurseries, Heirloom roses, for starters.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 6:39PM
dregae

As far as how vigorous, I have a really bland porch that I would like to see covered in roses someday. But I don't want to waste my money on a pretty picture from some nursery. I have tried that before and ended up with 10 dead rose bushes. Lesson learned, now I really want to hear what has worked well for others. I have been looking around at pickering and heirloom roses, and actually did see the william baffin.

Thanks so much for the responses so far!!!

dregae

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 6:49PM
dregae

Whoops forgot. I would prefer repeat bloomers, but a hardy plant first.

dregae

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 6:52PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Well, William Baffin isn't called T-Rex for nothing lol! I just planted him this past season. I can't wait to see what he can do!
Have you thought about maybe a clematis? How about Sweet Autumn Clematis? Definitely large enough! With fragrant, white, small flowers in the fall time.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 7:14PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Well, William Baffin isn't called T-Rex for nothing lol! I just planted him this past season. I can't wait to see what he can do!
Have you thought about maybe a clematis? How about Sweet Autumn Clematis? Definitely large enough! With fragrant, white, small flowers in the fall time.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 7:15PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Sorry bout the repeat posts oops! Forget the second two. Yikes!

Cathy

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 7:19PM
Zyperiris(Seattle)

Dregae, why don't you look up Roses unlimited and call Pat on the phone..or email. Her website is hard to use but she is very knowledgeable and she knows zones and what grows where! She has helped me alot

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 8:47PM
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

A rose for a cooler winter climate that I've heard people rave about is the pink climber, Viking Queen. You can see it on Helpmefindroses. I think it's beautiful.

Ingrid

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 10:28PM
lisa33(6b Bucks County PA)

I'm so glad you posted this! I am looking to grow a pale pink climber on my porch, too. One that I'm considering is New Dawn. It's supposed to be hardy to zone 4, so perhaps it would be a good choice for you.

Lisa

Bookmark   February 4, 2010 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Flowers and buds
Julia Child Chrysler Imperial Olympiad PJP
deervssteve
Hybrid tea White Magic
I was wondering if anyone has grown the Hybrid tea...
gibsongirl74_gw
Iceberg vs. Pope John Paul II
I am considering placing white roses near the entry...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Posy Parade!
My garden is in full spring bloom so my kitchen table...
SoFL Rose z10
How to Take Cuttings...
We are officially moving Monday, and as I walked the...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™