how well do eggplant seedlings transplant?

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)March 4, 2010

I know that some vegetables don't transplant well at all and grow best directly sown where they're going to be grown. The first thing that comes to mind with this is any type of root veggie.

I'm debating growing eggplant from seed but does it transplant well or should it just be direct sown?

If it's feasible to transplant it, I'll be growing it in a peat pot to avoid transplant shock. The variety I'll be growing is a compact bush type.

Also I don't know the first thing about growing eggplants, because I've never grown them before. Do they vine?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I've never had any difficulty transplanting them. Seedlings for sale are quite common so I'd guess that for most they transplant just fine. I think in your zone transplants would be mandatory though down here I can direct seed them.

Vine or not depends on the variety. I grow Ichiban, Black Beauty, and Rose Bianca and none of them vine. They are just 4' tall sturdy plants about the size of a large pepper plant. They need some support because of the weight of the fruit.

Dave

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 7:04PM
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

Eggplant transplants okay, as long as the soil is warm enough. I think they are the most cold-sensitive of the potato/tomato/pepper family.

My neighbor made wire mesh circles around her eggplants, then wrapped the mesh with dollar-store (food type) plastic wrap, leaving the tops open. Hers did better than mine.

Sue

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 10:39PM
diclemeg(7a)

digdirt...im in zone 7a, and am trying to grow eggplant from seed, indoors, and they dont seem to sprout. i have them on top of the refrigerator but its a new samsung and it doesnt seem to give alot of heat off.

can i simply start the seeds outdoors here? will they make it to fruiting, with the short season?

any advice from anyone is appreciated. thanks.

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 3:42PM
andreaz6wv(6b)

I sold eggplant plants at my farmer's market booth last year and had a few people come back and tell me their plants did well.

Andrea

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Bunny Tail grass seedling
I start Bunny Tail grass indoor. I put them near windowsill....
chipeony
Damping Off disease and Chamomile
Specific inquiry to Chamomile; proven or myth? I am...
ngrrsn
Potting up brassicas
I have broccoli and cabbage sown in small peat pot...
Peter (6b SE NY)
How do my seedlings look to you?
Hi everyone, I have been a member for awhile and have...
lexiegurl09
Question about growing from seed in small greenhouse
Hi everyone, I bought a small greenhouse from Ocean...
mcolangelo1221
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™