how to plant iris in pond

jscope399(5)July 19, 2008

I HAVE ABOUT 30 IRIS I WOULD LIKE TO PLANT IN THE POND

DO I JUST DIVIDE THEM AND PUT THEM IN POTS IN THE POND

AND LEAVE THEM THERE ALL WINTER I LIVE IN PA ZONE 5 I

THINK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ezaspie

Just plant them in pots and leave them on the shelves of your pond so the water is covering the pots for the summer. In the Fall I cut them back and we drain about 12 inches of water from our pond so the freeze thaw thing doesn't crack our edge rock. Our irises do great every year. Just leave them in their pots. We often have -30c days in winter here so irises are very winter hardy for Zone 5.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 9:34AM
patrick__mi__z5(z5 Mi)

You can bare root them in between the rocks if you have a shelf around your pond with rocks. It takes a couple of months for the roots to grow around the rocks but once they do they are anchored in good. That's where I have most of mine and they over winter just fine. I also put a few in the dirt just outside so it looks like they just naturally flow into the pond.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 11:42PM
bonecarver(z6NY)

+1 for patrick's response. We do the same thing and the iris flourish. This year we placed enough in our 100 gallon skippy filter to almost cover the entire surface( just bare root plopped them in). I think this really help with the water clarity this year. We leave them all winter, just cut them back in the fall after the frost hits them.

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 5:23PM
joan_m(6)

Jscope, what type of Iris do you have? I know there are Iris that grow well in a pond, but there are also Bearded Iris that (I think) are not suitable for pond use.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 6:50PM
minerva58

I planted 3 iris in large pots and have been in our small 500 gal pond for two years now but still won't bloom. I also have water lilies that have bloomed past years but not this year--nor the cattail! We've had the pond for three years and the lilies have bloomed the past two years but none this year. What could be the reason?

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 1:26PM
sheepco(MN z4)

minerva - My iris didn't bloom 'til their 3rd year. I think mine like to be root bound! As for the lilies, are you fertilizing enough? And do they need dividing? As I understand it water lilies produce smaller leaves and less flowers if they are overcrowded. And they eat alot - need regular fertilizing with pond tabs or jobe's tomato spikes.

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 10:04PM
pikecoe(9)

My Iris are planted in the gravel in my bog filter. I have never fertilized them with anything except what comes out of the bottom of my pond. I would not want them to grow anymore than they already have. I've given some away and still have waaay tooo many. Had oodles of blooms this summer. Daughters little pond has shelves around the edge and she has hers sitting in baskets on the shelves. We had to divide hers early summer, they were bigger than the pond and each one had about 25 blooms on them. The only thing we fertilize in the ponds are the lilies. We had seed pods as big as my hand fisted. Glenda

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Can anyone identify these fish?
I have a fair size pond that came with a house I just...
phases
Rubbermaid vs Galvanized stock tank pond
I'd like to upgrade from my little whiskey barrel ponds...
lola6964
Frogs found dead in my pond
It's been a while, and I can't find anything on here...
rosenbarn
Question about pumps
I have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank sunk into...
catherinet
Fountain pump clogging 170 gallon small pond- Help!
I have a very small 170 gallon pond system I bought...
ilovemilkbottles
Sponsored Products
75-ft. Coiled Watering Hose
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Nearly Natural 5-foot Ruscus Tree Decorative Plant
Overstock.com
3D Wall Panels Plant Fiber Sands Design (6 Panels Per Box)
Overstock.com
Madison Avenue Corner Floor Cabinet - 7077
$118.99 | Hayneedle
SLV Lighting | Nautilus MR16 Stainless Steel Outdoor Floodlight
$248.00 | YLighting
Green Die-Cast Aluminum Landscape Path Light
$59.99 | Lamps Plus
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Bohemian Brown/Gold 4 ft. x 6
Home Depot
Red Carpet Studios Rustic Element Cyclone - 31971
$24.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: