Five Leaf Clover?

suummsAugust 11, 2014

I think I may have found a five leaf clover. The image on the left is of the common clover in my garden, while the one on the right has five leaves. I just wonder if it is truly a clover because of the red veins. I did not see any red veined leaves when I Googled images of clovers. Can anyone confirm or deny? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Neither of the plants is a true clover, i.e. Trifolium species. They are both Oxalis. It's impossible to say for certain what species from a single leaf. But in your neck of the woods it could well be the invasive Bermuda Buttercup, Oxalis Pes-caprae. The leaves have purple spots.The 5 leaf red-veined one is probably just an aberration due to some form of stress - chemical, cultural or disease-based.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I have a lawn with quite a bit of white clover (Trifolium repens, aka Dutch clover) as well as an acre of pasture where both white clover and a larger red clover are common. The pasture was most recently horse grazing; prior to that, it was farmed; and before that, it was an apple orchard, as was the land to the south of me. White clover used to be planted under fruit trees to attract bees. I'm not sure about the red clover.

I've seen white clover with up to 7 leaflets. Sometimes a half leaflet will grow vertically from the vein in a leaflet. Other weird stuff also (for example, the lower half of a leaflet is normal, but the upper part of the leaflet is doubled).

Sometimes it seems to be a one-time mistake. Other times a plant will grow a significant percentages of 4-leaf clovers, and often a few larger ones as well.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
Silk flower NOID #4
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Who knows what type of orchid this is?
I keep getting these "Unusual Plant" emails....
Scooby D. Labbé
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™