Ilex cornuta

sam_mdJanuary 7, 2014

My neighbor has a row of these shrubby hollies along her fence. They are heavily berried and the habit is somewhat upright. I'm calling them I.cornuta 'Needlepoint' just because that matches online images.
Is anyone here familiar with 'Needlepoint'? I guess it is self-fruiting since there are no male cornutas around. With some careful attention they could make a nice hedge. Wonder how they like our recent single digits?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

They will be fine with the single digit temps. Cold as he// for us but they will show no damage. Used to have a nice specimen of a much more prickly culitvar. Don't worry, they will survive.

Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 9:28PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Sam, these particular hollies bear observation after severe cold. Their hardiness depends on lots of factors. Wind exposure, root system establishment, pruning and fertilizing timing, and even irrigation practices will all affect this plant's ability to go through a tough winter.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 8:27AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

We had a freak storm several years ago and my 10 foot cornutas (with three foot of snow pack...odd too), frozen back to 1-2 foot stubs (if not to the ground).
We recorded -27F at my house in NE Oklahoma...where normal extreme lows over the past ten years had been 5-10F each year.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 5:28PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Could be 'Needlepoint'. Dwarf Burford has leaves with more texture and seem to be more recurved along margins. Of course Needlepoint is a more upright grower.

You'd have to compare to regular Burford and maybe also with I. cornuta 'Fine Line'.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:56PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

I have been finding the wild offspring of these shrubs in my woods over the past few years. Believe me those "horns" HURT if you bump into them. Thankfully they're slow growing so easy to keep controlled.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™