Bird of Paradise From Seed

costakel(5a)March 31, 2013

Hi! I bought my mother Bird of Paradise seeds in Hawaii about five years ago. She just gave them to me to plant about two months ago. I nicked the outr shells, and one of them finally started growing. What looks like a little green stem stated poking through the soil. It was almost translucent green. Then I started think it was a root because there were no cotyledon sprouting with it. So at that point i dumped out the pot and saw what looked like a huge root of the same look and feel of what was above soil sprouting. They were literally in a straight line (the root below to the root above) with the seed on the side. I didn't know what to do so I put it back in the soil and covered the whole thing up. Well The top root started poking out again! And now it is getting brownish,I don't know what this plant is supposed to look like as it grows, if this thing even is a root or if it is part of the plant, if these flowers have cotyledon or not. And nothing is growing from the part of the seed that is still attatched to what is growing now. Do I get a long planter and plant it ith all the growth laying horizontally in the soil and leave the seed exposed hoping something will grow? I'm so confused! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I find just one image of newly germinating seedlings, see photo, top to the back. I don't think turning brown is a good sign...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 12:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

I think I remember reading that they are 3-5 years to bloom, and in zone 5 you would have to bring them inside and try to winter them over. Seems like a long shot to me.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
How do my seedlings look to you?
Hi everyone, I have been a member for awhile and have...
lexiegurl09
Conjoined twin basil seedling
This might be pretty common and not worth making a...
arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
Problem diagnosis - Please Help!!
I am having an issue where my seedling's leaves are...
Andy Keels
Getting disappointed when planting zinnia from seed.
Okay, first of all, I live in a tropical country, the...
bpmontilla
floating seed trays
I used to see styrofoam seed trays that would float...
T S
Sponsored Products
Grover Sofa - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Bover | Urban 01 Pendant Light
$921.00 | YLighting
Solar Garden Spotlight
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Pineapple-Dijon Half Ham
$108.00 | Horchow
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Gotta Get it Multicolor 4 ft. 6
$78.97 | Home Depot