When to start annuals

bernadette_gourder(5 from Newaygo, MI)March 13, 2011

Hi! I am not sure when to start my annuals for June and later blooming. Should I plant them inside (I have a big gro-light system so no prob there) and if so when? I want to put them in six inch pots - one to a couple plants per pot. Should I plant them directly in the pot? Or should I plant them in 1020 flats and than transplant later into the pot? Or should I do both, depending on the flower? Lots of questions, I know, but I am hoping you guys and gals will have all the answers!

I'd like to plant the following annuals this year:

Celosia

Baby's Breath

Cosmos

Petunia

Centaurea

Salvia

Datura

Gaillardia

California Poppy

Calendula

Lantana

Cleome

Nicotiana

French Marigold

Pansy

Globe Amaranth

Gloriosa Daisy

Mexican Torch Sunflower

Zinnia

Morning Glory

Moss Rose

Aster Crego

Bunny's Tail Grass

Alyssum

Thank you for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keriann_lakegeneva(5B WI/IL border)

I will tackle a few of them. I would start anything inside in a 1020 flat and then transplant into containers because I would start them in sterile seed starting soil and then replant them in a heartier soil they can grow in.

Petunias- I started my yesterday, but you could wait up to 2 more weeks.
Alyssum- either start indoors in 4/5 weeks or direct sow them where you want them outside or in a container outside, after the danger of frost has past. Same advice for Zinnias as well,

Morning Glory- soak in warm water for 24 hours and then direct sow after the danger of frost has past.

Giallardia- plant as soon as possible to you can get blooms this year.

Pansy- start now and harden the off 2-3 weeks before the danger of frost has past, they can take the cold temps.

Datura- I always start mine inside about 4-6 weeks before my last frost but they get big and stinky inside. YOu can direct sow them or start them 2-3 weeks early inside if you have the room.

Cal. Poppy- direct sow outside 1-2 weeks before your last frost, they can take a frost.

Sunflower- direct sow after your last frost date.

Marigold- start inside 2-3 weeks before your last frost free date

These should all be blooming in June- some maybe a few weeks later and the pansies may be done by then, but you will have lots of blooms in June.

I hope that helps

Keriann~

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 7:06AM
bernadette_gourder(5 from Newaygo, MI)

Thank you, Keriann. That does help! I think I will make a schedule and hope I get everything in at the right time. I do have another question. I would like continued bloom from June to Fall. Is it possible to do that with any of the annuals I listed earlier? If so, when should I reseed?

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 8:54AM
keriann_lakegeneva(5B WI/IL border)

Oh yeah.. you will have flowers till Frost! no need to reseed as many bloom with the temps, not just their age.

For some of the ones I could not help you on. you could go to the Park Seeds website and look at how/when to sow them. They are pretty accurate.

your welcome :)

Keriann~

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
Are store-bought seeds scarified?
If I purchase a packet of seeds from the store, are...
stainsor
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™