Asclepias syriaca?!

adidas(6/7)August 9, 2014

I thought and still *think* these are common milkweed (A. syriaca) BUT I have seen many specimens growing in different environments and there seem to me to be some differences...

At least one of these has glossy leaves and the other has small offshoots at the bottom that look like smaller plants...I've never seen A. syriaca do that but this is a somewhat wet, shadier location than most so maybe that's why? The leaves of these plants seem a bit floppier than others I've seen. The leaves usually point up or out...they don't usually seem to hang down. They do have milky sap but have never flowered.

Could someone please confirm (or not) that these are A.syriaca?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adidas(6/7)

close-up of glossy leaves

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 1:33PM
adidas(6/7)

Another one w/off-shoots at bottom.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 1:36PM
esh_ga

Certainly looks like it to me.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 6:19PM
adidas(6/7)

Thanks Esh! I guess a very wet, mulched habitat encourages LOTS of beautiful foliage in A. syriaca but little in the way of flowers! Probably why you find them most commonly growing at roadsides and other relatively dry areas w/poor soil.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 7:11AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

It certainly could be...I don't think we'll know for sure till you see flowers :)

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 7:59AM
adidas(6/7)

Thanks Dbarron....problem w/that is that A. syriaca around here (mostly on roadside or along RR bank) has already flowered....most asclepias is in the "podding" (is that a word?) stage so I think these plants have possibly missed the boat....they are at least 3 yrs old and have never flowered. Two are fairly well shaded but the third w/the shoots at the bottom is in full sun AND there are 2-3 patches of vigourously flowering A. tuberosa nearby growing under the same conditions.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Trying to ID a bromeliad
This bromeliad is fairly large --at least 3 feet in...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Bitter greens in Austin, TX
I've got these very bitter greens that keep growing...
gardenmyrna
Fat taproot, smooth-leaf basal rosette - ID it before friend eats it!
Anyone know this one? Growing in upper SC & the...
sustainahillbilly
Plant ID needed
Any ideas what type of plant this is? It sprung up...
heflinbaker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™