Cherry Blossom Tree Seed Germination

caldiarMarch 16, 2010

I have some sakura seeds that had instructions to keep them in a really cold (inside of fridge) spot for 2 months then to pull them out and they would take about 1-3 months to germinate.

I was wondering if I'd be safe with pulling them out of the fridge they've been in after only a month. I don't mind waiting another month but if I can get a plant sooner then I would like to.

Thanks guys :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

some genus (seed) require a cold period to mature & be able to germinate. in your case the 2 months was a period determined by trial & error to work.... IF you only stay 1 month in ref. some of the seed MAY germinate but most will not & have to be put back in the ref for another month. resulting in time lost not gained.....

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 9:12AM
spynn001

I have had success germinating japanese maple trees and would like to try germinating a japanese cherry blossom seed but I do not have one on my property. Does anyone know when japanese cherry blossom seeds are ready to be collected? Thank you.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 6:37PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

When the fruit is ripe (turning purple/black), the seeds are ripe. Usually approx mid-summer.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 8:56PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

spynn001 - be aware that many Japanese cherries do not produce fruit because the flowers are double. This means the reproductive parts are missing, replaced by more petals. Also most named flowering cherries are reproduced by grafting, not seed. So if you find a tree with cherries and get them to grow you are still not guaranteed a clone of the parent tree. But the experiment would be interesting if you are patient enough.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
looking for nifty ideas for cross ventilation
I need a very basic solution to providing some cross...
njitgrad
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™