onion seedlings: trimming height and transplanting Qs

dab07March 30, 2008

I'm growing onions from seed and they're under lights right now. I started them 3 or 4 weeks ago and they're about 3 to 4" tall. I've read that you can cut them down to about 3" before planting, but I'm wondering if I can trim them now. They're almost touching the light, which I can't raise any higher.

Would trimming them inhibit their growth or otherwise harm them? If so, I'll have to figure out something else...

Also, at what point can they be transplanted, both in terms of their age and the temperature outside?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You can trim them at any time and even multiple times before transplanting. The trimming is done to strengthen the stems and roots by forcing the growth of a new layer on the bulb which then becomes the next new green top. ;) The more frequently you trim the more the layers develop. I do all mine weekly at least to 3".

Planting - they want 50 degree soil temps - that is usually about the temp shortly after the ground can first be worked in the spring. They will tolerate light frosts with no problem.

Dave

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 12:42AM
dab07

Thanks Dave. Can they be too young or thin to transplant even if the outdoor conditions are OK? They're only about 3 weeks old. I'm wondering if it's more advantageous to leave them indoors under lights or transplant them ASAP.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 12:13PM
melanieweitzenfeld

This thread is of interest to me, as well. I'm going to throw in another variable...the container! Can onions do well in containers? I currently have two varieties: Red Robin and Yellow Granex Sweet. What size and depth of containers would be best suited for these? Thank you in advance!

Melanie

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 5:06PM
sundacks(4a)

digdirt,
Thanks for the info. I definitely pushed the season this year and my onions are huge! And I can't plant for at least 3 weeks.

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 5:15PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

You could keep your onion inside a week or two longer and feed with dilute fish emulsion (or whatever fertilizer you use) to get them bigger before planting out.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 8:45PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Can onions do well in containers? Sure. Many grow them in Earthboxes but most any container should do. Shallow ones like window boxes would be best I think as they are shallow planted so why waste all the soil in a deep container? ;)

Dave

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
Crock pot as a "heating pad"
Just had my first cleome seed sprout after about a...
marigold.mary
Getting disappointed when planting zinnia from seed.
Okay, first of all, I live in a tropical country, the...
bpmontilla
Heating Mats
I am looking at purchasing a heating mat for the 2016...
weirdtrev
Germination time for Lily of the Valley started indoors
As a newbie, this is my first year starting plants...
SnowStorm
Light cycle for seedlings
Hi everyone! I'm on year 2 of starting my summer garden...
luckybees
Sponsored Products
Adesso Lamps Swivel Black 71.5 in. Floor Lamp 3677-01
$21.24 | Home Depot
Pro Series 7-pc Garage Cabinetry Set
FRONTGATE
Bronze Leather Pouf
| Dot & Bo
Black Forest With Silver Edged Trim 36 x 46 Mirror
Overstock.com
Modern Fan Company | Solus Ceiling Fan
$384.00 | YLighting
White Katherine Vase
$11.99 | zulily
Neutral Shag Rug 9'6" x 13'6" - MEDIUM GREEN
$2,499.00 | Horchow
A & L Furniture 8 x 6 ft. Kids Kottage Playhouse with Finished Interior - 9100-B
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™