Growing from seed

Timm7777March 22, 2013

Hi everyone,
I think I give my plants too much TLC. Can someone help me with why my seedlings because they won't grow. I got a heat mat and they came up from seed no probem. Then once the first true leafs started they stoped growing. I thought it was light in the first batch, however, I now have a led 300w grow light 1 1/2 feet away, and still not growing. I started to notice white dampness no the roots of the plants, so I got a small fan for circulation. I also added worm tea, hence, the cattapillars started eating the plants. I am now only using seaweed solution that is a rich mix to get them back.

They are growing just slow.

Does anyone have any ideas. 7 weeds old now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hopefully you removed them from the heat mat as soon as they sprouted? It is only used to germinate. If left on the heat it cooks the roots.

White molds/fungi is a symptom of over-watering. And they look like they need to be transplanted into individual deeper containers. Appears to be shallow soil in that container.

As to all the feeding - please don't. They don't need it and don't like it It only stresses them. Once transplanted and well recovered and growing well then a very weak, well diluted to 1/4 strength feeding once every 7-10 days of a balanced fertilizer is more than enough.

Don't know what you mean by "caterpillars"? Why would they get those from worm tea?

Be sure to check out the FAQs here for more how-to details.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed FAQs

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:34PM
Timm7777

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your advice. Who know about the caterpillars. They came from the home made worm tea. I had all sorts of creepy crawies coming out. Another area that probable needs some work.

Regards,

Tim

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 3:53AM
Danielle1988

Hi Tim,

Definitely remove the heat mat after they sprout as Dave said. I would hold off on using your home made worm castings, you are inadvertently adding insects and possible disease to your seedling environment. Also if you are using a Dome to keep in humidity remove that as soon as your seeds have sprouted.

What seeds are you growing?

Danielle

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 1:17PM
Timm7777

Hi Danielle,

I am growing broccoli and cauliflower seedlings. Regards to the first two leafs going brown. I though it was the result of dampening off. As the base stem started to go white. But after I added a fan the first leafs didn't bounce back. I am now wondering if the led lights might have been too close first up.

Regards,
tim

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 4:39AM
susanzone5(z5NY)

Start over with fresh, bagged seed starting mix. Keep plants in separate cells to begin with. Water from the bottom and don't feed till they get some leaves (follow Dave's info above). Don't add anything but water. Remove from heat after germination.

Set the lights about an inch away from plants and don't cover them. Too much love isn't what they need. lol.

This post was edited by susanzone5 on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 12:18

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
Asparagus seedling help needed
So I'm growing Mary Washington from seed this year-...
beesneeds
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™