seed flats

flavio(5)March 3, 2014

I have some plastic seed starting trays (see photo) which do not fit in the standard 1020 plastic flats. My trays are a little bigger than the 1020's. Is anyone aware of any plastic flats which would be just a little bigger than the 1020 flats which would allow me to sit my starting trays inside?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mori1(5b/6a)

You might want to try Greenhouse megastore and see if they have anything that would work for you.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 12:39AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Plug flats (what you have there) aren't normally used with trays. They are just dipped to water and then removed and left as is.

But there are some trays made for them - called watering trays or carrying trays - but they aren't inexpensive. Check Novosel Enterprises website and amaplas.com if interested.

Cheaper alternative is one of the Sterlite or Rubbermaid shallow closet storage bins sold at Walmart.

Dave

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 12:13PM
flavio(5)

Thanks for your replies. Dave, just curious...What prevents the potting soil from coming out the bottom as the water drains from the plug flats? When the medium needs follow-up dipping's later it would seem that a little more of the medium would be drained out each time.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™