time to transplant again?

njitgradApril 29, 2013

I transplanted my tomatoes and cukes to 16 oz cups last week and now they tomatoes have sprung up to be about 4-8 inches in height. Do I need to transplant them again considering I am about to start hardening them this week? How do you know when? Is there a rule of thumb? What will happen if I just leave them?

As it is, I am running out of room under my growing lights and I am doing a round-robin scheme for exposing my seedlings to the growing lights. Is this the point where I start picking out the weaklings and only give the healthiest looking ones the lights to grow under?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

4-8" ? no you shouldn't need to transplant them again. Are they root bound? Do they need to be soaked every 2-3 days, if so then maybe, but usually at 4-8 " a 16oz cup is just fine.

And sure - if you have more plants than you are going to use, and no one to give them to then you might as well cull some of them now, just to save the work.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:06PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

How do you know when? Is there a rule of thumb?

Agree with mandolls. But no there is no "rule of thumb". Just as with watering it is when the plant needs it not by the size of the plant.

And you know when by the fact that you have to water them more and more often to keep them from drying out and drooping. That is the sign that the plant is getting rootbound in its current container.

Dave

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 11:42AM
overdrive

what i did, and i have a large area for indoor growing, is cut off the top, and replant into 1 gallon grow bags, with the entire stem buried up to the top 2 leaves. now the entire stem will sprout roots, and you get a really husky "seedling" - you just really need adequate indoor lighting to do this - :) - paul m.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
Are store-bought seeds scarified?
If I purchase a packet of seeds from the store, are...
stainsor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™