A huge pine fell on our forsythia, can it survive?

cgordy(7)February 10, 2013

A huge pine fell on our Forsythia (planted by my great aunt who has long since passed) so we have a lot of sentimental attachment to this plant. The pine was approximately three stories tall and had a forked trunk, the upper middle part of the tree squashed the bush over a week ago. Loggers are coming this week to remove the tree for milling, will the forsythia be able to survive? What can we do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

It would take a lot more than that to kill a forsythia! This event could even make your shrub even stronger (sort of a natural rejuvenative pruning).

You should go ahead and clean up the broken branches (most likely cutting them to just above ground level). If the pine didn't already take out at least 1/3 of the forsythia branches, go ahead and remove some of the older shoots. I wouldn't remove more than half the total shoots (including what the pine damaged), but, if more than that were involved in the pine incident, don't worry about it at all.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 4:41PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

yeah.. i agree.. it is a 'drive it over with the truck plant' .. this beats that.. and STILL WONT KILL IT .. lol ...

cut branches.. and put them in a vase.. and force the flowers..

90% will root is you change the water frequently ...

and if your soil isnt frozen [which i doubt in z7].. just stick a bunch of 12 inchers into the veggie bed.. and 80% will root ...

if you cant root a forsythia.. just give up gardening.. lol ...

aunties memory will live.. i am sure ... the root mass should sprout also ...

the only issue will be what to do with the 50 million rootings you will have.. lol ...

ken

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 7:47PM
cgordy(7)

Thank you both very much!!!

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 4:05PM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

Hahahaha. Yep, nothing will kill forsythia. No worries- chances are it will come back better than ever next year-you need to be patient since the new branches will set buds in the summer for next year.

I agree with Ken. This is the perfect time to pick up those broken branches and plop them in a vase to force flowering. Perfect for brightening a cold winter day.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™