Saving seed from F1 hybrids

organic_wonderfulApril 15, 2011

I saved the seed from a very rare type of plant that was extremely expensive that I cultivated last year (I seem to remember it cost me about �10 a seed, and no, they weren't magic beans). I know that you generally should not save seed from F1 hybrids, but I've also been told that whilst the majority of the plants grown from the seed saved will be completely all over the place and won't breed true, you'll get a few unique individuals that stand out from the crowd, which you can keep.

Is this true? Or is it not worth it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

In the next generation, there can be a lot of variation among the seedlings depending on how these genes reshuffle in each offspring. You may get a few unique individual seedlings, or you may not. If you have the space and time to experiment, it's up to you. I've sown seeds from hybrid geranium and the number of desirable seedlings from those that germinate is low, 25% or less....but that's geranium, and a particular geranium, your experience could be different.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 10:31AM
noinwi

Depending on what it is, you may end up with something very similar to the F1. I'm no expert in this by any means, but I've saved a few seeds here and there from produce and from F1 plants. It doesn't hurt to grow them out and see what you get. I tried growing out F2 pepper seeds a few years ago and I kept getting 3 different types of peppers. Of the 3, the ones I really liked were seedless, so unless I took cuttings, I could never keep growing those. I've saved seed from white marigolds and they would never germinate. I've read that tomatoes grown from Campari F2 seeds are just like or very close to the F1. It is fun to try...I usually have some kind of experimental planting each season, but on a very small scale..

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 1:13PM
foolishpleasure

I purchased a honey dew from SAM club. It was golden yellow with green stripes. I never tasted a sweet perfumed honey Dew like that for a ling time. I saved the seeds and planted them. I was able to produce 25 of the same honey Dew. If it was not for the Ants and Squirrels I could have double crop

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™