green slime

ptreebs(z8WA)April 15, 2010

I must have over watered my seeds cause now the top of the soil is green. what should I do? will this kill the seedlings? My husband thinks I should spray with very diluted bleach???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

Sometimes green on the soil is an indication that the soil is too acidic, but if yours seems slimy and you think you over watered it is probably a mold.

DO NOT spray with bleach. If you have a humidity cover on them, remove it. Get a fan blowing on them and sprinkle the top with cinnamon.

If it's just green from acidity then you can sweeten the soil a bit with crushed egg shell. It will take a while to work because the shell material has to wash down into the soil with watering.

When watering, wait until the soil is dry at LEAST half way down the pot, and then set your pots in a shallow container with water and then wait until the soil darkens on top a bit and remove it from the water. Now you know the soil is wet right through and it can be a week or more before you have to do it again.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 4:05AM
keriann_lakegeneva(5B WI/IL border)

I had a bit of green 'stuff' on my soil line. It was not slimy, looked more like really bright moss. This was showing when teh plants were very young still. I can't say if we have the same green 'stuff' but mine was harmless. I did do what oilpainter suggested with increasing airflow but it did not go away. It dissapeared when my petunias got larger and blocked the light to the top of the soil line.

This had no effect on my petunias, they are now about 8" tall and 24" across.

Keriann~

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 7:08AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

It's likely algae and shouldn't hurt your seedlings. Do not spray with bleach, the ph of household bleach is somewhere around 11 and would be fatal to plants. Water less, increase air circulation around your trays. You must be close to being able to put your seedlings outdoors to begin to harden them off, just that step alone should resolve the problem.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
Germination time for Lily of the Valley started indoors
As a newbie, this is my first year starting plants...
SnowStorm
Need Help Starting Seedlings
Hi!! My name is Sunny. :) I joined your forum just...
sunnygirl55
Question on sowing seed indoors using starter kit
Hi Everyone - I'm a noob gardener and am attempting...
sistereinstein (Z5a WI)
Grasses from seed
I'm getting ready to sow a variety of (native NA) grasses...
mpem15
Thank you All
I've been on GardenWeb forever, but I lurk mostly,...
patchworkfarm (z6 CT)
Sponsored Products
Neutral Green Alfresco Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Red Vanilla Classic White Covered Sugar Bowl and Creamer Set - RDVN243
$39.98 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Lyndhurst Zen Gardens Green Rug (2'3 x 16')
Overstock.com
Floral Verde Medium Bottom Wall Mount
$100.80 | Bellacor
Uttermost Eleonora 6 X 9 Hand Knotted Rug
Beyond Stores
Area Rug: Taaz Navy Blue 8' Round
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™