Iris dying?

tomtrivJuly 16, 2010

Hello,

We moved into this house 7 years ago. It has a lovely little (500 gal?) ornamental gold fish pond. I'm told it has been here for at least 20 years (it even has its own water striders and leeches!)

There is a basket of iris that has done amazing for all these years but now it looks like it may be dying. If it were a normal plant I'd say it needed watering or was getting too much water. It seems to be rotting near at the part where the leaf grows. It flowered this year but now I wonder if it needs to be divided, (it has spread way beyond the little pot on the shelf that keeps it in a few inches of water). Any suggestions or advice on where to look for help would be appreciated. I can try to post pictures if needed.

-LeeAnne

Newmarket, Ontario

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancym1956

Definitely needs to be divided. Those things spread like crazy, so I'd pull it up, separate them, and the repot a few of the healthiest looking ones in some fresh soil (clay or ordinary garden soil will do). The others can either be put in separate pots, given away, or tossed.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 2:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomtriv

Nancy,
Thanks a ton! I know little about gardening and next to nothing about pond plants.
Cheers
-LeeAnne

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
A deck window to my pond
Covered a portion of my pond with a deck so I decided...
thepondfather
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
New 50g pond in SE FL...fish & plant suggestions?
Hi, My SO just installed a new in-ground pond in our...
sumognat
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
Silicone brand - does it matter?
Hi all! So I'm currently repairing my first pathetic...
jennyb5149
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™