Symphoricarpos or 'Coralberry'

teresa_b(z6 MO)February 28, 2009

I have two coralberries planted in my cutting garden for using the berried branches in the Autumn. Instructions say to prune in late fall or early Spring. Does anyone know how much to prune? One source said it can be trimmed to practically nothing!

On another note, these were planted a year ago so are not fully mature.

Thanks,

Teresa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If new and dinky no need to prune is likely. Pruning doesn't help plants grow, it's done to get a particular result that is desired by the gardener.

There are multiple pruning books on the market where you can look this genus up for specific pointers. Searching the internet for "symphoricarpos pruning" and the like is bound to turn them up as well.

If you've looked at a few discussions that left you wondering, maybe look at some more hits or seek out some books instead. Probably most public libraries have at least a few pruning titles.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 3:50PM
teresa_b(z6 MO)

Thank you bboy. It was one of those moments of why didn't I think of that? So, I pulled my "Woody Cut Stems for Growers and Florists" off the shelf and coralberry pruning is addressed. Coralberry blooms (and subsequently fruits) on new wood so plant can be cut to the ground in early spring with some growers cutting to ten inches.

I'm off outside with my pruners!

Teresa

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 11:52AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Again, I wouldn't whack down small specimens as that will slow their establishment and development. Unless you are cutting them for arrangements there shouldn't be much pruning at all until and unless you think they are due for a renovation. With specimens planted as border subjects this would occur periodically, with long intervals of many years between.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™