What is this

JPT62August 13, 2014

What is this and how do I get rid of it. Keeps growing against the foundation and fence line. West central Michigan. A real nuisance.
Thanks in advance for your help :')

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gmatx_gw zone 6

Elm tree seedling. See if you have a mature tree on your property. If not, cut back seedling, spray cut with Round Up. If you have a mature tree on your property and do not want to kill it, you need to dig around the seedling to where you can follow the root back a short distance and clip it. Then coat that cut with tree wound protector spray and replace the dirt. Elm trees as a general rule do not send up sprouts from their roots, so I am fairly sure that an elm tree seed landed in the spots where you see the ones you have mentioned.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 3:47PM
RugbyHukr(23)

Looks like an ulmus parvifolia sapling.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 3:49PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

God i hate them ... near adrian MI ...

smaller ones.. you should be able to pull up in spring.. when the ground is more friable ...

otherwise snip at ground level and drip on some full strength.. undiluted .... round up... or stump killer ...

if you have hundreds to do.. you could use the very expensive applicator at the link .. to literally apply drops ...

only the cambian layer need be dosed.. and that is the green line just under the bark..

return unused RU to the properly labeled container when done ...

this system works on ANY plant ... one drip ..

its NOT a spray thing ... its a drip thing ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 4:07PM
donna_in_sask

Ken, what are the chances of having TWO clueless neighbours move in on both sides of my house? Both have let elm seedlings grow inside the shrubs that previous owners had planted. Now I'm going to have huge elms a foot from my fence! How could you not know that a tree shouldn't be sprouting from a huge shrub?

It's so nice to see people ask what plants are here and do something about the undesirables..rather than ignore what will become a nuisance in the future be it from laziness or ignorance. /rant

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Who knows what type of orchid this is?
I keep getting these "Unusual Plant" emails....
Scooby D. Labbé
Plant name?
I need your help to find out this plant name. Thank...
xorxe
Identifying Plant
Any help identifying this plant would be appreciated....
Sari Lomax
Please let me know the plant name
Hey This is an aquatic plant with obovate leaves and...
nus12
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™