When and how to move seedlings to cells

neuf(5 Indy)April 11, 2014

This being my first attempt at growing from seed, I am looking forward to my next step. As the picture shows, I started the seeds in a community. My intent is to move them into the same soil mix (sphagnum peat and vermiculite) in plastic cells. What is the best way to handle them as I transplant them and when should I do it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

What are they? Seedlings of what? Makes a big difference as to when and how. At that size in the picture (closer pic would help) they are too tiny to do anything with now.

Dave

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 10:29AM
neuf(5 Indy)

They are Coleus and I understand that they are too tiny. The purpose of the photo was simply to show that they are just now germinating and in what conditions.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 11:53AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Coleus are slow growing so you have plenty of time. Once they develop some good sized true leaves they will be much easier to handle for transplanting. You could do it at this stage but it is easy to injure them if you aren't experienced at doing it.

When the time comes have your cell packs already filled with damp mix, use a pencil or similar tool to poke a hole in each sell, pop out each seedling with a small spoon if you don't have the tools normally used, and frop it into the prepared hole. Firm up the soil around it lightly.

I normally transplant coleus in clumps so if you end up with more than 1 or 2 in each cell that is fine. Google Images has lots of good pics on 'transplanting coleus'.

Dave

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 8:38PM
mandolls(4)

I would suggest adding some coarser materials to the mix when you pot them up. If that mix is actually just vermiculite, spagnum moss and peat moss, it is really going to hold water. I have had even larger coleus rot at the soil line if kept to wet. Mix in some pearlite, or pine bark fines for better drainage.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 8:34AM
neuf(5 Indy)

Thanks for the comment mandolls. I just bought a bag of pine bark mulch per tapla's suggested 5-1-1 mixture. I am afraid my soil is too damp and I am hoping I can make it through to the transplant into cells without rotted roots or damp off!

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
Best websites/catalogs to order from for seed?
What are your favorite websites or catalogs to order...
sarcastichousewife
Blue Globe Thistle Seed Germination
Help! I so want to grow Blue Globe Thistle. I have...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™