Mexican Flame Vine

susanlynne48(OKC7a)April 4, 2010

I received some seed of this vine and just wanted to know if there is any special treatment needed to grow this vine from seed. Has anyone ever done so?

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

No luck here with seeds bought from Ebay or seeds from my plants. The person I bought my seeds from actually sent me starts because the seeds didn't germinate. I still have seeds in a pot from last years plants but still nothing. I have managed to root several cuttings to keep them going all winter and can take more. They wont survive outside through winter in your zone but rooting cuttings is fairly easy.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 7:46PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I don't know how helpful, but floridata says -
Pseudogynoxis chenopodiodes (syn Senecio confusus)...surface sow, warm (70-80), germination may be erratic.

That seems in line with Senecio in general...Surface sow or barely cover as light may be beneficial to germination, 75F

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 12:16AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Thank you both for your responses. I bought my seed from an Ebay seller, too.

Was the botanical name changed recently? I had always known it in the past by Senecio confusus. Have those onery taxonomists been at it again?

Susan

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 7:49AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I may stubbornly stay with Senecio. I can't pronounce Pseudogynoxis chenopodiodes.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 10:25AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Well I thought the name was still Senecio confusus but that seems to be the (out of date scientific name) now. lol I will always call them Senecio confusus. It is much easier.
If you can't get them to germinate, I might be able to hook you up with some cuttings. I have several going that are spoken for now but have plenty of vine to cut some more. You can email me from my member page. follow the Vs
V V
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\V

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 1:26AM
karyn1(7a)

I've collected seed from my plants several times and have never been able to get any to germinate. I don't even know if they are viable as they are so tiny but the cuttings root very easily.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 7:02AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Thanks everyone! I will see how it goes first. I do recall something that I read on the Internet when searching for info about germination, that very few seeds are viable. Don't recall why.

I am also starting seed of the red Tecoma, but from what I've read they appear to be much easier.

May take you up on the offer for a cutting, but will first see how the seeds do.

Susan

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Best websites/catalogs to order from for seed?
What are your favorite websites or catalogs to order...
sarcastichousewife
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™