parrots feather

KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)July 9, 2013

How much parrots feather is too much? The plants in my pond have gone crazy this year and the parrots feather has taken over. The water lilies have been getting through in some spots but I have to wonder if I shouldn't thin the parrots feather. On the plus side I think the plants are really clearing the water of excess nutrients because what water I can see is no longer green. Also, all the plants give the fish plenty of cover for hiding from predators. On the down side I can barely see the fish for all the plants and the parrots feather seems to be trying to crawl out of the pond now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

Here's the pond as seen from the other end.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 12:55PM
darla84

Beautiful and lush... Has kinda taken over the pond.. Wish I could get mine to look that beautiful....
I know that if you thin it you could post on Craigslist for it... people are always looking for it and its expensive in the pet stores.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 9:24PM

Last year the parrots feather was really thin and scraggly but this year is totally different.
I hadn't even thought of posting the extra plants on Craigslist. I already have a pile of extra plants growing in a kiddy pool out back.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:31AM
ernie85017

I'll buy some!

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 3:49PM

I've pulled some of the parrots feather out of the pond and put it in a kiddy pool out back where it is growing quite quickly. It was also pretty quick to fill back in in the pond too! After taking several batches of plants back to the pool it is now full. I'm getting ready to list the extra plants on craigslist along with a bunch of other plants that I thinned out of the garden this year. We had a really mild winter here in florida which gave the plants extra time to spread!

Ernie, I would happily share some of the plants with you! Just send me an e-mail.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 1:09PM

Ernie, I've tried to e-mail you twice now but I'm not sure if you recieved either of them.

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 2:01PM
ernie85017

I searched my email folders, junk, etc. Can't find yoU!
Please try again
ernie85017@cox.net

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 2:24PM

I've just sent you another e-mail. If you don't get it try e-mailing me without going through garden web. I've been getting your e-mails so I should be able to reply to them.

karalynnericson@yahoo.com

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
New 50g pond in SE FL...fish & plant suggestions?
Hi, My SO just installed a new in-ground pond in our...
sumognat
My kids Turtle Pond
In 1982 I moved my family from Medford Lakes NJ to...
thepondfather
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™