Does new growth on cuttings mean that it has rooted?

needinfo001August 18, 2014

I have some crape myrtle cuttings that i started about 16 days ago. They have some slight new growth from the leaf nodes and from the top of the cutting. Does this mean that it has rooted?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you already know what the plant is ..

i answered in your other post.. when you tug one out.. and it has roots.. that means it rooted..

top growth is not root growth ...

ken

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 4:27PM
needinfo001

ken_adrian

Quit answering my questions!

I dont want to tug on it or pull it out and possible rip any roots that have formed.
That is why i am asking if new growth means if has rooted!

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 4:35PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Unless you stuck it in clay, you shouldn't rip off any new roots. If in a loose media you shouldn't have any issue.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell just by top growth. Many plants have enough reserve food/moisture to push a little growth even before roots have struck.

I once saw a cut red maple log about 18" in diameter sprout a 2' long shoot, that didn't die until nearly a year after it was cut, without a single root on it, just from what was stored in the log.

You have to tug on it.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 4:38PM
lazy_gardens

I dont want to tug on it or pull it out and possible rip any roots that have formed.
That is why i am asking if new growth means if has rooted!

NO, new top growth does NOT mean it has rooted.

The standard test is to tug GENTLY on the cuttings, after the usual rooting period has passed, to see if it resists the tug. That means ROOTS are in the medium.

2 to 6 weeks is the usual period ... you are a bit early to be seeing roots.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/root-crape-myrtles-clippings-22849.html
"Maintain moist soil conditions and in two to six weeks, the crape myrtle cutting will form roots. To test, pull the clipping gently and if you feel some resistance, it has formed roots and is ready for planting out in the garden or into a larger pot."

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 4:44PM
Toolbelt68(7)

Why not just dig a hole down on ONE side of the plant? If there are roots down there you should be able to see them. Now don't go using a large tool. Chop Sticks will get you there without disturbing the rest of the plant.....I kid, but you know what I mean...:-))

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID #2
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Mystery desert plant wtih bright orange seeds
Hi there! This plant was found while hiking near Tucson,...
kellibee1111
Flowering Vine/plant Identification
Have had this plant for years, seldom blooms, but it...
ehgraham
what sort of mushroom?
I promise I have no intention of trying to ingest this...
toad_ca
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™