Indian Hawthorn

c2399(7a/b)February 29, 2012

Hi all.

I got 2 White Indian Hawthorns last fall (Rhaphiolepis indica 'Alba').

They have some spots/leaf discoloration, one being worse than the other. I did some research and learned that indian hawthorns can be prone to leaf spotting/fungus.

I won't be spraying any chemicals to help keep this at bay or put a stop to it and live in a VERY humid area. Should I just toss these 2 out and start fresh with something else? I'm thinking that is the way to go, but I have a hard time discarding of plants and need a push.

Anyone have any experience with this? Can these plants "grow out of" this/get over it on their own, or am I out of luck. I also am a bit afraid of it spreading to other types of shrubs.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Pretty much ubiquitous on them in my area. EXCEPT - R. umbellata is not so prone. If you like the look of the plant, try that one instead.

You do want a warm, sheltered spot for these, with good drainage. Not a plant for tough conditions.

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 9:24PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

My experience with that particular cultivar is that it is a sturdy little, full sun loving, parking lot shrub. Meaning that it's tough. This was in hot, humid coastal SC...zone 8b.

The disease problems always cropped up when there simply was not enough sunlight, not something that was likely to happen in the sunny south unless you planted under in partial or filtered shade conditions.

I've not had any experience with this plant out of that zone, however.

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 10:51PM
c2399(7a/b)

Thanks for the info! Not to officially decide what to do with my current ones.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 11:32AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Since you don't plan on doing anything to stop the progress of disease in your plants, then I think that you should rip 'em out and replace with something that will thrive in that specific location.

I really don't think that humid conditions are a problem for this plant, per se. But if you live in area that sees a lot of cloud cover OR if they are not located in the full sun, leaf spot diseases are likely. Overhead irrigation can be a factor, too.

I think of Rapheolepis as being practically problem free....as long as it's planted in the right place, lol. Then all bets are off.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 12:16PM
Sara Malone Zone 9b

Concur on R. umbellata 'Minor' - I use them throughout the garden as foils for other plants as they are nicely green, good shape, etc. with nice new foliage (though I think that they get bigger than I was led to believe). Not sure they'd make it in zone 7 - I think winter hardy only to about 10-15 degrees. Every R. indica that I have ever seen here is in a commercial planting, covered with leaf spot...

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 12:24PM
c2399(7a/b)

Thanks for the additional info--very helpful! I live in a very sunny area, but my yard doesn't have many places that are "full" sun. They will get sun, but not all day long.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 12:15AM
wally_1936(8b)

If you are not going to use a fungicide maybe before you rip it out you might want to try a spray of milk with water added.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Gardenia with multiple ailments
Hi, I recently planted (less than 3 weeks ago) some...
sgreer13
Will nandina firepower old leaves constantly change color with season?
I want to plant some of these firepower shrubs. I know...
tlbean2004
Digging out a Burning Bush
I need to remove 5 mature Burning Bushes. I am redoing...
tigereye
light green/gray discoloration on Nellie Stevens
There are several Nellie Stevens hollies at our new...
hafamily5
Can I shorten a 10-15 yr old Nellie Stevens Holly?
Just wondering if Nellie Stevens can withstand having...
hafamily5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™