Can I Root Forsythia That Already Bloomed Inside

snikcillaFebruary 15, 2013

I cut a few forsythia branches 3 weeks ago and brought them into house where they bloomed in water. Lots of beautiful yellow blossoms and a few lone green leaves.

(I cut off 1 inch of stem each week and changed water every few days)

Can I take these SAME branches and root them at this point? Or is it too late since they were cut a few weeks ago and have been in water and are blooming?

If I stop cutting ends, and then remove remaining blooms as they die etc. can I still root them in dirt of water?

(I don't have access to more cuttings, am trying to root these ones that were brought inside in late Jan in Virginia.)

Thank you for any thoughts on this!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

just stop cutting off the ends... but change the water every so often..

when you first see some roots forming.. place into dampened media.. with a baggie for a humidity chamber... [ah heck.. make a second pot.. and jsut stick some straight from the bush into it]

i would use 6 to 8 inch cuttings ... so they will fit in a baggies with the pot ...

in spring.. just cut a few more off the bush.. and push them in the ground..[you can surely find another bush somewhere..]

just keep experimenting.. and just throw out the excess.. once you succeed wildly

ken

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 7:57AM
More Discussions
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Unknown evergreen shrub
Hello experts! Do you know what this evergreen shrub...
kevinako
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™