How to kill invasive bog plant????

ademink(z5a-5b Indianapolis)July 2, 2010

It looked so pretty for a few years...now it is definitely from hell and grew THROUGH my liner, causing the pond to leak. OMG!

Phragmites variegatus...don't do it!!!!!

I currently have about 6" worth of roots in my bog area...I pulled the crap outta there but all of the runners are still under there and popping up 6-10' OUTSIDE of the pond too. I will round up the runners on the outside of the pond but wonder how to kill what is in the pond? I tried pulling and cutting the root mass out but literally have cleared an 8" section in an hour. I will be doing it until Jesus returns at this rate.

I wondered if it would work to saturate the area with sea salt...??? Do you think it would kill it? I figured if salt got into the pond (16000 gallons) it wouldn't make a difference. The root mass is wet but there is no actual standing water in the area b/c the roots are so dense.

Ideas?

Thansks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annedickinson

I don't know if salt would do the trick or not. I did a goole on phragamite control and found many sites. One in particular seemed to be most informative for me and I have included the link below.

It does appear that there are two chemicals mentioned in many sites that have been approved for use in and near waterways. I don't know if either of them would be appropriate for you.

I have had problems with invasive plants too and have basically just dug them up over and over and over until they are at least very sparse. It is almost impossible to totally eradicate them.

Hopefully others will have some good information for you. Good Luck.
Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Phragamite Control Information

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 2:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ademink(z5a-5b Indianapolis)

Hmmm..they actually recommend salt water to kill it in that document. I think I'm going to try it! there are no other plants in the bog that I am concerned about.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
Can anyone identify these fish?
I have a fair size pond that came with a house I just...
phases
Making Mechanical Prefilter for submersible pump
My medium sized pond is currently using the Savio watermaster...
supahenzi
Problem with Pickerel Weed
I started to grow my pond plants early inside this...
MrBlubs
Question about pond vacs
I have a 300 gallon stock tank, sunk in the ground...
catherinet
Lotus seeds
Question about Lotus seeds. Has anyone had good luck...
goffer48
Sponsored Products
Citrus Basket by Alessi
$135.00 | Lumens
AGUO Watering Can by Blomus
$80.99 | Lumens
Boxwood Square Wreath Set
$49.99 | zulily
Flora Pendant
Lightology
Fine Art Lamps Monte Carlo 569740ST Two-Light Flush Mount Light
LuxeDecor