koi had a close call

KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)July 20, 2013

This afternoon while my dad and I were carrying some boxes off my front porch he stopped to watch a large frog hop into my pond. When he looked over at the pond he noticed a patch of orange laying on top of the parrots feather in the middle of the pond. To my shock my big orange and black koi was laying on it's side only partly in the water on top of the plants unable to get back fully into the water. Even taking a long pole and pushing down on the mat of plants it was resting on didn't get it fully back in the water. I had to get down on my hands and knees, lean out over the pond and drag the the plants closer so that I could pick the koi up and get it back in the water where it was quick to swim off.

After that scare I spent the next 15 minutes pulling parrots feather out of the pond, ending up with enough plants to completely fill a 2 foot deep x 2 feet across pot. And there still a lot more of it in the pond but now the fish have quite a bit more open area to swim. I was just lucky that the day has been overcast with the occassional sprinkle of rain since I have no idea how long the koi was stranded like that.

Here's a picture from early this year of the koi I nearly lost today.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annedickinson

Wow, what a scary thing to have happen. Someone posted the other day a similar story of a koi getting stranded. Glad you were in time.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 5:19PM
cliff_and_joann

Good thing you were at the right place at the right time.
Glad your fish is ok.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 6:10PM
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

I saw him about an hour after I rescued him and he was swimming around just fine. I'm so glad I found him in time as he is the oldest and my favorite of all the fish in my pond.

I knew that the parrots feather was thick but I hadn't realized just how far down that thick mass off plants went. I'm really tempted to take a lot more of it out of the pond but it has been working so well to clean up the excess nutrients in the water that I worry that if I take out too much the water will turn green again!

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 6:55PM
tuder96

I had a platinum koi do that on some water hyacinth and it was over nigh and she died sad to lose a 10 year old koi that way needless to say I now keep the plants in check now and cover only a small portion of the pond loosley

Here is a link that might be useful: koi club

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
Tropical marginals dormancy
Two months ago I planted an Umbrella Palm and a Papyrus...
thepondfather
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™