White fungus or mold growing on variegated ligustrum

dmaxt03(z8 SC)February 18, 2007

There appears to be a white fungus or mold growning on the trunk and stems of several VARIEGATED CHINESE PRIVET ligustrum planted in the spring of 2005. The affected shrubs are also smaller than the shubs without it. The white stuff has also appeared on the outside brick and appears to be spreading. Any clue what it is? Any help on how to get rid of it without harming the shrubs? See 5 pictures below.

1.WHITE FUNGUS OR MOLD?

2. ANOTHER VIEW

3. COMPARISON - WHITE STUFF ON THE TWO ON THE RIGHT

4. NO WHITE STUFF ON THESE

5. ON OUTSIDE BRICK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I suggest that the white on the plants is a scale insect and the problem with the bricks in entirely different.

You DO know, don't you, that your Ligustrum is supposed to be entirely and fully evergreen?

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 9:22AM
dmaxt03(z8 SC)

Good suggestion. I thought for sure the white stuff was the same on the shrubs and brick. I tried Daconil initially a couple of months ago when I thought it was a fungus. It did not cover the areas very well (and apparantly did'nt work). Any suggestions on how to treat for the scale insect? Will it harm the shrubs if not addressed? Also, any ideas for the brick?

As far as the Ligustrum, I hope it will green-up in the spring. I will do some pruning in the next few weeks. See below from the Clemson Extension.

VARIEGATED CHINESE PRIVET (Ligustrum sinense ÂVariegataÂ)
Mature Height/Spread: This semi-evergreen shrub grows quickly to 4 to 6 feet with an equal spread. It has gray-green leaves with white margins, which makes it a popular shrub for brightening dull areas of the garden. This shrub may revert to the species, which has dull, grayish leaves. These odd branches need to be pruned out.

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 11:36AM
esh_ga

Ligustrum sinense is one of the most invasive plants in the southeast. More a problem with the species plants than the variegated ones, however, these can still set seed or pollinate others and therefore propagate themselves.

If you end up having to get rid of these, do consider something else as a replacement.

As for how to treat scale, just search for "treat scale on plants" in any good search engine. You'll find lots of info.

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 2:57PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

In your location, that plant should be totally evergreen. I suspect that the stress from the scale infestation is affecting it. Scale insects, when left totally unmanaged, can kill plants. Especially if the plants begin a downward spiral.

I have no idea what the stuff is on the brick. Look sort of like a mortar issue, but I just can't tell from the photograph you've included.

esh, you make a very good point regarding this plant. I shudder when I see it literally taking over woodland areas.

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™