Blue Poppy Seed from Herb Market

tuscanseed(7)April 1, 2008

Has anyone tried sowing the blue poppy seeds found in grocery stores or small food markets? I've sown poppies but never the ones used for spices. Of course I don't want to pass up an opportunity for viable growing seeds at dirt cheap prices, if this would work. I happened to be in a store which sold a lot of unusual spices for ethnic dishes and there were some bulk bags of blue poppies. The gardener in me thought flowers and not bagels...lol. Experiences on this one? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

requires a cod period (40F for 4 weeks) then cover the seed as darkness required for germination. soil temp 65-75F taking 10-14 days to germinate. growing on temp (day) 50-55F germination to transsplant 4-8 weeks.. 13-15 weeks to flower. Ideal pH 5.8-6.8

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 10:50AM
tuscanseed(7)

Thanks George. I do know how to sow them, but I'm wondering if they are viable seeds to begin with to sow, and has anyone even succesfully grown the blue poppy herb seeds. Do you have first-hand experience with these specific seeds? TY

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 1:27PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

If you mean Persian blue aka breadseed poppy aka papaver somniferum from the spice aisles of grocery stores, yes they do germinate. The one year I sowed from a spice jar though, I found the bloom colors mixed, pale and not especially inspiring - I buy named seed if I'm going to sow annual poppies.

If you were looking for the true blue perennial poppy, meconopsis, you won't find it in edible spices.

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 1:45PM
georgez5il(z5 IL)

The herb name comes from the color of the seed NOT the flower.

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
Blue Globe Thistle Seed Germination
Help! I so want to grow Blue Globe Thistle. I have...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™