Pruning Pussy Willow Shrubs

mary_maxFebruary 24, 2009

I would like to know if I can cut my pussy willow shrubs back to the ground now...like tomorrow.. before the pussy willows (fussy things) are formed. Is this okay or do I need to wait until the fussy things are formed. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The pussies are the point of growing it. If you cut it back just as these are opening and discard them then that defeats the purpose of the shrub. Otherwise, the timing is fine - you would instead cut it back right after flowering.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 12:28AM
mary_max

Yes I do understand that but the shrubs were broken from the heavy snow we had and look very badly. So I wanted to trim before the fuzzy things formed. Is this ok or will the bush be hurt by doing so. I normally stool the shrub and this is what I was hoping to do today if it would not harm the shrub. Hopefully I will get an answer before I do anything. Thanks so much.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 8:04AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if you figure out how to kill it... let us know..

just do it ... removing broken pieces if therapeutic .. why waste energy trying to heal them ...

if it were me .. i would remove the broken.. and leave that which is not broken ... to feed the new growth ... and then in fall.. remove the remaining old big stuff ...

proper shrub regeneration involves removing 1/3 of the large stuff.. over a 3 year period ... which can be sped up ... due to injury ...

i doubt you can really hurt the thing...

you can take pieces of the branches in the house in a vase.. and they will probably 'bloom' for you ...

but i agree with bboy .. if you dont like the plant.. the fuzzy things.. why keep it at all??? ... you can do so much better ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 8:47AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Again, the timing is fine. In fact, the earlier in the year you cut it, the more time it has to regrow and set another set of buds for next year.

You wouldn't want to prune in fall as that would remove flower buds for next year's bloom.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™