Please Help! Killer Nandina

aprillaceMarch 18, 2010

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to post to but....

We just moved into our first home and the yard has been neglected for the past few years as the previous owner was very elderly and unable to do the hard work anymore. The yard has about 20 nandinas that were purposely planted and dozens more that have popped up in random places in the yard. I previously had no problems with this plant but have come to hate it as it is way to invasive.

My question is how do I kill it or get rid of it? We have tried digging it up but the roots are expansive, tough, and a general PITA. If I keep it cut down below the surface will this eventually kill it from lack of sunlight or will this just strengthen the root system because it is not putting energy into plant production?

Please help because I am about ready to set the yard on fire. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Tops feed roots and roots feed tops. Cut off one and keep cutting it off and the other will eventually peter out.

Cutting off one part of the plant will not strengthen the other, quite the opposite in fact. Plants are organisms, like us, with integrated systems. Amputation does not enhance functioning of the remainder.

An exception is removal of immature fruits to save the plant the energy it would otherwise extend producing them.

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 1:16AM
jay_7bsc(8a)

It's a pity to hate such a beautiful garden plant.

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 5:12PM
aprillace

Thanks bboy.

Jay,

I actually think it is a nice looking plant and like I mentioned before, I previously had no aversion to it. I think you can grow to hate any plant when you don't want dozens of them popping up throughout the grass in your yard and they are really difficult to get rid of.

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 1:39AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i put generic roundup in an old mustard bottle ... 100% concentrate [which is actually 40%] .... for control purposes

between the bark.. and the interior wood is the green cambian layer ...

cut down plant.. apply roundup to the cambian .. its useless on the interior wood ...

and keep at it for up to a year or two... never let sprouts get too big ...

the root system.. will eventually spend all the stored energy.. and eventually die ..

and have no guilt.. you will replace the loss to mother earth with something better ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Need a fast growing shade tolerant hedge....Help please?
Does anyone have any ideas for a shade tolerant zone...
pebbles81
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™