Transplanting bigger rugosa rose

greyandamyFebruary 12, 2012

Hi everyone! I did a search to see if this was posted, I couldn't find it. I'd ideally like to move a rugosa that's about 4 feet wide at base (hard to tell with snow and any suckering).

I dread the job, the thorns, etc. But I don't want to kill this rose. When it's time in my zone (Whenever that is, ground not frozen?), is this possible? Even if it doesn't bloom this year? I know I'd have to cut it down (this is the first year I fenced it so the rabbits wouldn't eat it). Does it have a big taproot? The soil it's in is quite diggable, but I'm sure this would be a project nonetheless. If any advice, please let me know!! (Oh, no clue where to put it either, but that's after this answer). THANKS SO MUCH!

Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

How old is it? My first thought when dealing with moving any largish rose that runs is that you don't really have to move the whole thing. Just find a good, balanced part of it, move that, then kill off the rest.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 4:18PM
greyandamy

It's maybe 3 years old...well, since it was put in that place. I used to be able to transplant the smaller ones easier. I know they grow fast...

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 5:09PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

I'm with MG. I have transplanted Rugosa with extreme rudeness and they don't seem to care much. I have also chopped off suckers and simply stuck them in slits and almost all survived.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 6:17PM
seil zone 6b MI

I'm with the rest. Cut it back to a manageable size and dig up a good size root ball and move it where you want it. If you can dig now and the rose is dormant I'd do it and the rose will wake up in its new spot and may not even notice it was moved!

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 9:24PM
wirosarian_z4b_WI

Don't worry, its pretty hard to kill a rugosa by digging it up even if you hack it up. Actually you are going to find that you will have numerous baby rugosas trying to grow back from the pieces of roots that you leave behind from the mother plant, I had roots sprout back for 3 years after moving a Hansa once. You're the one that will suffer the most in the move, I highly recommend wearing safety glasses.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 10:53PM
mysteryrose(z5)

I once transplanted a 5 ft tall Wasagaming from partial shade to even more shade. It seemed to experience no great shock. A trooper. Early to mid April should be a good time to move a rugosa in your state, just water well for the first week or two.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 9:43PM
elina14

rugosas can handle light shade salt air,frigid temperatures, so plan to move them safely by taking the healthy part of the plant

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 1:12AM
greyandamy

thanks everyone, I'll prepare my "safety gear" soon

Thanks mysteryrose for the time, I never am sure!!!

Amy

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Heirloom roses website
Hi, I've been trying to order roses from the Heirloom...
bellarosa
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™