sunflower seedlings flopping over... help!

pokokpenyuApril 24, 2007

my sunflowers (Helianthus annuus, from a packet of yates seeds), germinated about 5 days ago. they were growing fine, if a bit leggy. but today, suddenly, they're starting to keel over! help!

the soil doesn't feel too damp, so i don't think it's damping off. my cat did try to attack it, so maybe it got damaged? what can i do? should i repot? should i add soil? should i try to stake them with a chopstick?

would really appreciate any ideas or advice! thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: close up photo of the sunflower seedlings

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mscratch(z6 S.E. Mo.)

They need light that is why they are so leggy. You can do all that you mentioned but it comes down to them needing more light.

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 7:04AM
pokokpenyu

thanks for the tip :) i transplanted it last night, and put it under florescent light. looking much better today! yay!

Here is a link that might be useful: transplanting process and pix of how they look today

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 1:44AM
docgipe

Try direct seeding those sunflowers in the garden about May the 15th to May 25th. in zone five. I have never had a success transplanting a sunflower. My past attempts at potting and transplanting have done what your's are doing.

Plant them at least twelve to fifteen inches apart. Use two seeds per planting and cull for the best of the two. Cut do not pull your cull. Pulling will harm the keeper's small tender root system.

Bookmark   April 29, 2007 at 10:07PM
pokokpenyu

I wish I could, but at the moment, I'm gardening out of a balcony, which means I have to rely on pots, pots and more pots. I planted them about 2-4 to a pot, depending on the size of the pot, giving myself a 50% chance of failure.

They are looking alright so far. Still standing upright, and new leaves are forming. Hopefully they keep that up!

But I'll be moving soon to a house with a raised plant box. Planning to plant a whole row of sunflowers - mixed between Mexican and this one. Not sure if I should transplant what I already have or leave them as it is. Maybe I'll just start afresh. Wish me luck! :)

Bookmark   April 29, 2007 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
looking for nifty ideas for cross ventilation
I need a very basic solution to providing some cross...
njitgrad
Blue Globe Thistle Seed Germination
Help! I so want to grow Blue Globe Thistle. I have...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™