Direct Sowing Techniques/Equipment

HealingHeartsFarmApril 2, 2012

I am a hobby market grower and most sell peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, cukes, squash etc. I usually don't sell too much lettuce, carrots, radishes and other small seed crops because of the time consuming labor involved in sowing the seeds. I bought and Earthway seeder and it is a piece of junk imo. I have looked into the 4 row pinpoint seeder, but I thought it was a little pricey and didn't like the close spacing. Are the vibrating seeders effective? What techniques do other market growers use when sowing small seeds? Is there a cheaper alternative to the pinpoint seeders?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I bought and Earthway seeder and it is a piece of junk imo.

Wow, why? What is it doing wrong? Perhaps it can be adjusted/fixed? I wouldn't be without mine. Does beautifully.

Dave

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 5:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HealingHeartsFarm

Boy...where do I start on the Earthway? I am surprised to hear it works well for someone. I bought mine new. The seeds get stuck behind the seed plate. When the hopper gets low it doesn't pick up seed. Sometimes a seed will get jammed in the plate and it will go flying. When it does work, (not very often) it drops tons of seeds. Last year was the first year of working/ammending the soil. It pretty much requires very fine loam to even manage a straight line.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 11:25AM
More Discussions
Asparagus seedling help needed
So I'm growing Mary Washington from seed this year-...
beesneeds
Do not use Miracle Grow Potting Soil for seed starting!
We decided to use some leftover Miracle Grow Potting...
cmonkey
What size cell to pot up?
Hello, longtime lurker here. I am growing vegetables...
shire38
Are store-bought seeds scarified?
If I purchase a packet of seeds from the store, are...
stainsor
Help with germination!
Hello all! I have a question! I started some of my...
countryladies14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™