Widely variable germination times?
I am a newbie growing slow-to-germinate Black-eyed Susan vine (White, Salmon Shades, and Spanish Eyes) and Sweet Pea vine (High Scent, Elegant White, and Mrs. Collier). I have them in Juiffy Peat Pellets (I know some people don't like them) in a plastic-topped dome, on a heating mat. What is worrying me is that I have had some seeds germinate rapidly, and some that haven't started. I know both are supposed to be slow to germinate, but should I be worried if some germinated quickly under my growing conditions, but now it has been several days since any further seeds have germinated? Here is the breakdown:
- White Thunbergia - 1 seed germinated within 48h, and 3 more within about 7 days, but none (8 remaining) in the 5 days since;
- High Scent SP - 4 germinated within about 3 days, but the remaining 12 have not in the 4 days since - I have seen a couple of pellets with white fuzz on them!;
- Mrs Collier SP - none (of 24) germinated in the 7 days since sowing;
- Elegant White - 1 germinated on the 6th day (15 remaining);
- Salmon Shades - none germinated in the 5 days since sowing (8 seeds);
- Spanish Eyes - too recently sowed (2 days) to assess.
I'm concerned that they may be too wet - the propagators get lots of droplets under the dome, but some seeds did well so I am not sure. It also doesn't seem clear whether they need light or dark (some sources say light, some dark).
Thanks for any and all help.