plant received as a present

amaryllis52(10a)August 10, 2014

Hey Guys,

I have just received this plant and I have no idea what it's called. Do you know it's name so I can find out if any special caring is needed?

Thanks a lot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amaryllis52(10a)

second image from a different angle.

Unfortunately I don't know any additional details about it. The leafs are pretty hard and thick and some leafs have reddish endings

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 4:57PM
duluthinbloomz4

A sempervivum. One of the hens & chicks variety? Looks like the hen is about to set a flower (not showy at all) - which happens every several years. That parent will likely eventually die off leaving you a pot full of the little chicks.

Make a great houseplant. Don't know what they would do planted outside in your zone. I've had some for many years in a rock wall that survive winter air temps of 30-40o below zero.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hens & Chicks

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 6:31PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Yes, a Sempervivum.

The pot should have a drain hole. Water only when the potting mix is dry (perhaps every 2 weeks). It will be happiest outdoors in sun -- but if it hasn't been growing in full sun, transition it gradually over the course of a couple of weeks.

I can't tell what sort of medium it's growing in, but ideally it should be a gritty, quick-draining mix.

More and better care info at GW's Cacti & Succulents forum.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
Identifying Plant
Any help identifying this plant would be appreciated....
Sari Lomax
Rosemary exact species name please (Qatar)
Hi Guys Can you please name the exact species of this...
maufie123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™