What's your favorite container shrub?

funnthsun z7A - Southern VAMarch 13, 2013

I have two super-sized containers, 24-inches across at the top and 16-inches tall, that I want to put two smaller blooming shrubs in. The area that they will go will get full sun.

So, I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys "What is your favorite blooming full-sun container shrub?" Obviously, the longer-blooming, the better. Don't like the one and dones (1 week it blooms, then it's over). Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA

After just reading another post, yes, they have drainage and no, they are not ceramic, but are the lightweight plastic pots that are double-walled and no, I don't have a picture.

Thanks in advance for telling me about your favorite blooming full sun container shrubs!

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:51PM
esh_ga

Caryopteris.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 8:48AM

Now that is an interesting choice. Hadn't though of Caryopteris, although I was thinking about Lo & Behold butterfly bushes and they look somewhat similar. Looks like they have a new variety, Longwood Blue, that is getting good reviews. I will definitely consider that, thanks!

Any more suggestions or favorites from anyone?

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:28AM
Sara Malone Zone 9b

Have you considered a dwarf conifer that would provide year-round interest? New growth is often as eye-catching as flowers.
Sara

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 11:52PM
prairiegirlz5

Tiger Eyes sumac is a pretty shrub for a pot. I've never tried it, but have read that its maybe wimpy so a pot would be ideal to environment to establish and also give it more oomph in a landscape setting. I would add contrasting foliage like acorus gramineus 'Ogon' and tuberous begonias and/or heucheras.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 5:47PM

I have tons of conifers already, so definitely looking for something that is a long-bloomer.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 9:10PM
butterfly4u

Funn,
Mexican petunia, it will live through the winter in the pot where you live. Blooms from spring to frost. Awesome!
I have small spireas in pots, they have blue green foliage and pink flowers, they are hard to kill and bloom all summer.
I also have Roses in pots, I can't grow them in the ground here, too hard, they are hybrid tees, they bloom all summer.
I have Gerber daisies in pots, they get really big, bloom all summer, just cut the dead flowers off.
Really, you can grow anything in a pot if you have to.
Duranta grows well in pots, but I am replacing that this year I think, they didn't bloom last year.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 11:33PM
samnsarah

This may be more of an annual or perennial than a shrub depending on what zone you live in, but I really like the trailing lantana plants such as Lantana montevidensis 'Purple Trailing'. If you hang the basket, the stems trail gracefully down and are covered in flowers that attract butterflies and hummingbirds.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
County Extension/Horticulture agents
Folks, many of us here make frequent recommendations...
wisconsitom
Pruning Young Loropetalum
I planted a 5 gallon last summer, and it is starting...
misterleadfoot_z9
Need thorny suggestions
I'm looking for thorny/annoying plants to put under...
Mary Townsend
Can I shorten a 10-15 yr old Nellie Stevens Holly?
Just wondering if Nellie Stevens can withstand having...
hafamily5
what's this on my Viburnum?
I have two otherwise healthy Viburnum 'Autumn Jazz'...
skidoo22
Sponsored Products
Colonial Mills Montego Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Blue Burst - MG59R024X036R
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Ceramic Rooster Black and White Canister Set
Classic Hostess
CAP Barbell Rubber Hex Dumbbell Set - SDRS-150
$394.34 | Hayneedle
Franklin Loveseat - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Armo Case for iPhone 5
$39.50 | FRONTGATE