Viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Summer Snowflake'

greyandamyMarch 15, 2011

I need help with this shrub. I HATE water thirsty anything, after water bills got too high. Last year This was just such a plant. Or it wilted/burnt. I moved it to shade. That helped with burning. Yet it still seemed to need too much water. It was 2 years old (that I've had it), so not NEW NEW, but...

I swear I've seen them growing places that don't get much water. Even if they, when "established" just require mod. water (once a week, deep, in dry spells) that's okay...

But what have any of you experienced? Yes, it's nice that it blooms spring-after frost. Etc. No berries, as no suitable pollinators near. But how do you grow yours?

I'm trying to decide if it's a "worth it" plant...

THANKS!

Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Well, mine has been in one place for at least five years, and has never been watered. It seems to be a more drought tolerant plant than the Shasta doublefile, which I do water when it wilts badly.

Give it time in one place. Basically, every time I move something, it resets the official establishment clock. So something that I'm willing to water the first year, I have to be willing to water for at least a year after every time I move it.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 12:08PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

You don't say where you are, nor your soil. Two years is still kinda new ...and...you said you moved it to shade which started the clock all over again (as mad gallica said). My plicatum var. tomentosum never seemed thirsty to me in my Wisconsin clay.

tj

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 6:52PM
greyandamy

THANKS! I'm in SW PA, it's part shade, soil very loamy, lots of compost, thus water retentive. I'll give it time, thanks so much!!!!

Amy

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™