inch worm or parasite

old_house_j_i_mJuly 12, 2010

I found an odd little "worm" in my skimmer the other day - it was about 3/4 inch long and pale gray with black thin rings around each segment - about 15 segments in all. It pulsed as it moved, rather than squirm along like an earthworm.

Is this just a worm that landed in my skimmer, or are there fish parasites that grow this large ? It kind of freaked me out, I can not find good Identification for it and am not sure how to even search for such info.

Can anyone help ? I may be able to get a photo - I stuck it in a plastic bag to keep it for ID - it may be dead by now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancym1956

Sounds like a caterpillar might have landed in your skimmer.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 5:29PM
horton(6 b Ontario.)

Old House, take a look at the linked site below.
At a guess I think you may have found a Cutworm.
They are usually terrestrial but it may have fallen off a plant into your pond and ended up in the skimmer.
Cut worms come in a variety of colours,some with stripes, some just plain.
"Horton"

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutworms

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 6:53PM
old_house_j_i_m

Thanks Nancy and Horton - the cutworms look similar, but not quite the same. I agree, now, that it was probably just some land-loving escapee, rather than a fish sucking parasite. I thing, though I am not a biologist, that the parasites are considerably smaller than this guy was.

The thing that did and still does throw me though was the way he moved, he pulsed to propel himself forward, rather than wiggle (Like a worm) or "step" as an inchworm does (where they arch their body, then flatten, to move ahead)

Ill keep looking for info - there are just SO MANY worms out there ...

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 12:44PM
horton(6 b Ontario.)

OH, I think you are correct by the way you describe it's forward action, that it is unlikely it is an aquatic parasite.
I have found some of those worm/caterpillars in my garden from time to time, they arch their backs as they move along but I have never encountered one in the pond.
"Horton"

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™