Replacement options for Oleander

scw75March 20, 2007

Hi All. I'm new here. I have 15 oleander around my pool which have grown fast and provided great privacy. The bad news is they are developing leaf scorch and nothing I have read about leaf scorch is promising. I need to phase them out with something that will grow FAST and also provide nice privacy. I've been recommended viburnum and wax leaf ligustrum. What do you all think? Are these good options? Any experience with them? Other recommendations? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Don't use Viburnum suspensum, whatever you do. The foliage has a dreadful stench in hot weather. You don't want that around your pool. Wax myrtle is another possiblility.

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 12:02PM
midwestjeff

Have you considered photina or crape myrtles? I can`t grow photinas here, but I attempt to grow crape myrtles.

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 12:43PM
katrina1(OK)

Red tip Photina (SP?) is beautiful, but grows huge and could easily spread enough to out grow the area.

I have seen Skip Laurel nicely used as a backdrop for a pool. It is not a litter problem around a pool. Just make certain no clorine or salty water is constantly splashed onto its root zone. They need moist soil, but the soil also must be fairly well draining.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 7:52PM
jeannie7

Sew, I wont suggest, I have no idea of Texas plants....but I must ask you something.

Oleander....I'm familiar with my plant in a 10" clay pot...has grown wonderfully, blooms OK...maybe a little later than I'd like...but I've been told that oldeander is a favorite plant in the south...but it has one distinct disadvantage....it is a beggar to dig out...its roots go down....pretty soon, they talk chinese.

Is this a true fact....do you think you might have problems removing their roots.
Don't mean to throw cold water on your plans....especially from out of the pool.....but thought I'd ask.

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 7:51PM
scw75

Thank you all for your replies. My husband pulled out one of the oleanders today and it wasn't difficult at all. The roots really were not a problem. I had planned to hire someone to do it. I replaced it with a southern wax myrtle. Two landscapers recommended it for its fast growth.

I love red tip photenias because of their growth rate but they both warned me against them because of potential diseases...even though I see a lot of beautiful, disease free ones, all over the neighborhood.

Well, 1 oleander down, 14 more to go. Thanks again for your help!

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 11:53PM
More Discussions
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™