Advise for shrubs to block dogs

malanga(z5 IL)March 14, 2012

Hello folks. I am in need of some advise. I wish to add a line of shrubs between my western border and my neighbor's eastern borner. He has three pit bulls which bark ans snarl at anything that comes near them. There is a wire fence already there, but I would like to add a privacy hedge to block the view, and also to keep my 20 month old son from being tempted to stick his fingers through the fence. Now, the main problem I have is that there are already some old Rose of Sharon planted along that side of our yard many years ago. they stand about 8-9 feet high and my wife loves them. I am concerned about the shade from the Rose of Sharon preventing a hedge from growing well. Is there something I can plant under them along the edge of the fence? Thank you so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

Hollies will grow thick and prune well. Lots of different hollies to choose from.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 11:27PM
malanga(z5 IL)

Hollies huh? Yes, I heard the American holly grows well in my zone. Perhaps I'll give that a try.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 10:16AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

I don't know if I'd go for sharp with a young kid. That kid of yours will be bleeding from head to toe if he gets anywhere near them.

Boxwoods will work albeit slow-growing. Just start with large plants if you can afford them.

Dax

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Does anyone know what kind of shrub this is?
Landscaper planted it calling it silver green, but...
pebbles81
Edgeworthia chrysantha never fully blooms?
I planted my edgeworthia about 2 years ago. Last year...
chueh
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™