Nellie R Stevens Spacing

laylaa(7b)March 9, 2008

I have searched and found a lot of info on Nellie Stevens holly, but does anyone have advice on spacing from center? The goal is a privacy hedge, there is ample room and they will be allowed to grow naturally. I have grown them before and love them, but not used them as a hedge or planted them close together. I've seen spacing suggestions from 4-8ft apart and that's a lot of difference a few years down the road. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

in my world... all it depends on .. IS YOUR BUDGET ....

if you can afford twice as many plants... plant them 4 feet apart ....

if you cant afford that many plants.. put them 8 feet apart ...

and all that is a function of how many years you are willing to wait for your privacy ....

research the annual growth rate .... and see how long it will take to fill in ... e.g. .. if you plant them 8 feet apart.. and the space is 6 feet [taking into account how big they are when planted] ... and they each grow 1 foot per year [a year or two after becoming 'established'> ... then it will take 3 to 5 years before they begin to touch ...

cut the spacing to 4 feet .. and you cut 2 to 3 years off the result ....

aaannnddd ... noting space is not an issue ... and if budget is not an issue ... go for 4 ft apart within a row ... with two rows ... second row offset by two feet [meaning closer to you] ... which probably means they will be about 3 feet apart between plants between the rows ... i know what i want to say.. but am not sure the words are working .... maybe i fixed it.. or confused you further .. lol

sooooo ... you have to answer your own question ... imho ..

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

ken

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 12:51PM
laylaa(7b)

Thank you, Ken. The privacy is secondary and an added bonus, with a primary goal of birdscaping. I want the berries and shelter, and birds love these plants for both. My previous NS grew flippin' huge and I'd hate to make the mistake of putting them too close - which I've been known to do. :)

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 12:30PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if screening is the goal .. i do NOT understand how they can be too close ...

if you are looking for specimen planting .. letting them achieve their own potential .. then yes.. spacing is an issue ...

sounds like you are on the right track ... though i personally .. might zig zag them .... rather than a straight line ... more interesting ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Does anyone know what kind of shrub this is?
Landscaper planted it calling it silver green, but...
pebbles81
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Need a fast growing shade tolerant hedge....Help please?
Does anyone have any ideas for a shade tolerant zone...
pebbles81
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™