suggestions for a grouping of 3

denidillMarch 27, 2010

hello,

I garden in zone 3 and while I garden a lot, I do not know anything about trees or shrubs. I am looking for ideas on a small planting ... perhaps two shrubs and one small tree. I was thinking Korean lilac, spirea and ninebark. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Those are all shrubs, unless you plant a Korean lilac grafted onto a trunk or trained up to have one. Then you have a small, sort of faux tree. Some spiraea produce fairly large fountains of growth, maybe you are thinking of a dwarf kind of Japanese spirea. Ninebark definitely grows large, unless you choose a dwarf/compact selection.

For color harmony maybe avoid a Japanese spirea with yellow foliage. Although one with light yellow leaves might brighten the grouping without producing a clash. Otherwise, I'm thinking you would have a mostly pink or pinkish flower theme (based on the lilac) with complimentary purple foliage from one of the purple-leaved ninebark cultivars ('Monlo', marketed using the selling name Diabolo) probably still has the best leaf color).

Maybe put a 'Monlo' or two behind the (tree shaped) lilac, with several dwarf Japanese spiraea underneath the lilac.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 1:02AM
More Discussions
Hakuro Nishiki willow, planting near house?
Hi all, I live in Seattle and recently bought a house...
nr78
light green/gray discoloration on Nellie Stevens
There are several Nellie Stevens hollies at our new...
hafamily5
shrub cover to overwinter hydrangeas in zone 5?
anyone use Nue Vue shrub covers filled with leaves...
jager1
Mixing Lilacs
I have a large section of yard that is filled with...
MsKitty31
Sponsored Products
Cape Cod Solid Wood 29-inch Side Table
Overstock.com
Mason Aged Brass Eight-Light Chandelier with White Shade
Bellacor
Toikka Bird - Owlet by Iittala
$355.00 | Lumens
Mason Polished Nickel Three-Light Wall Sconce with White Shade
$534.00 | Bellacor
Tommy Bahama by Lexington Home Brands Ocean Club Solstice Rectangle Travertine a
Hayneedle
Area Rug: Shelley Ivory 8' x 10'
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™