suggestions for a grouping of 3

denidillMarch 27, 2010

hello,

I garden in zone 3 and while I garden a lot, I do not know anything about trees or shrubs. I am looking for ideas on a small planting ... perhaps two shrubs and one small tree. I was thinking Korean lilac, spirea and ninebark. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Those are all shrubs, unless you plant a Korean lilac grafted onto a trunk or trained up to have one. Then you have a small, sort of faux tree. Some spiraea produce fairly large fountains of growth, maybe you are thinking of a dwarf kind of Japanese spirea. Ninebark definitely grows large, unless you choose a dwarf/compact selection.

For color harmony maybe avoid a Japanese spirea with yellow foliage. Although one with light yellow leaves might brighten the grouping without producing a clash. Otherwise, I'm thinking you would have a mostly pink or pinkish flower theme (based on the lilac) with complimentary purple foliage from one of the purple-leaved ninebark cultivars ('Monlo', marketed using the selling name Diabolo) probably still has the best leaf color).

Maybe put a 'Monlo' or two behind the (tree shaped) lilac, with several dwarf Japanese spiraea underneath the lilac.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 1:02AM
More Discussions
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™