T5 Grow Lights For Veggies

adc14April 30, 2011

I was recently given a T5 Sunleaves 6 lamp light by a friend who's son had used it to grow you know what. I researched here and elsewhere T5 lighting but was unable to find an answer to this question: what distance from the seedlings should this type of light be? It seems to generate a lot of heat and the bulbs are hot to touch. I normally use T8 6500K fluorescent shop lights and the leaves can touch the light and not be burned.

I understand the T5s produce nice, stocky plants, but I'm worried about possible damage to the plants. Also, is there that much difference in growth between the T5s and T8s? Should I just use the T5s for larger plants? I would appreciate some guidance on this. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

You should post this on the growing under lights forum - many people there use t-5's

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 8:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenThumb90(7)

I have seen people use t-5 with excellent results! I personally have bought 4 grow lights at walmart for 10 dollars each and saved myself money and alot on my electric bill. I just add heat when needed with a clamp on lamp.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 1:26AM
More Discussions
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
Make your own seed tapes
Something to do on a cold Feb. day make your own seed...
oldgardenguy_zone6
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
Nasturtium from seed
hi, i'm currently planting some nasturtium seeds (about...
rosche
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™