transplating

tulips101(5a sterling il.)March 18, 2013

Last year i had my full grown Dapne Carol Mackie split on me and i was wonder if i could cut off the part that is almost completly seperated and then dig upthe rest of plant it so only the good half is showing.I have had it since it was real small.
Or do you think it is a bad idea and just get rid of it or please does someone have better ideas.
The plant is little over 3 foot high and and about 3 feet wide im in zone 5 and the plant is facing south .If i can just cut it off and move it can i take cutting from it and try to propigate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akamainegrower

Carol Mackie pretty much inevitably splits from the weight of snow or even less obvious causes. It's also notoriously difficult to transplant, so I wouln't try digging it up. If you can nurse it through the coming season long enough to take some cuttings from new growth, you may be able to root them. Sad to say, though, the original plant is probably a goner.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 6:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sara Malone Zone 9b

Concur with mainegrower...you gotta enjoy Carol while you have her and accept that you will not have her forever. And we don't have snow here!

Definitely try to keep it going long enough to take cuttings. With this kind of plant I try to take cuttings on an ongoing basis so that I can replace the mother plant when it expires.

Sara

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Need advice on planting rest of a hedge
I planted a row of Ficus Nitida along the side of my...
allergyvictim
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
Need a fast growing shade tolerant hedge....Help please?
Does anyone have any ideas for a shade tolerant zone...
pebbles81
Butterfly bush blooming too soon
We've had some unseasonably warm weather recently and...
carla1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™