Dwarf Burford Holly Hedge

Allen456(8)March 5, 2014

Next week I'm going to plant a row of 20 Dwarf Burfords about 3' apart. This area is currently covered by hybrid bermuda sod. I plan on renting a sod cutter and peeling up an 18" wide row of sod, planting the hollys, and mulching with pine bark. Anything else I should consider? This area is served by my sprinkler system.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

sprinkling transplants is not good enough..

refer to the link for planting and PROPER WATERING advice ...

you might also have to deal with overgrown/circling roots in potted plants ... sometimes its not as simple as shoving them in the ground ...

take the time to do it right ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 12:14PM
Allen456(8)

Thanks. I will check the roots when they go in the ground. Soaker hose is an option.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 2:27PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

any chance we might talk you into actually bending over.. and testing the soil at depth for proper watering ... and watering when they need it.. insert finger to 2 or 3 inches at say.. every other plant for this summer.. per week ...

instead of relying on every other trick in the book ...

unless you have highly engineered profession drip hose... i would not rely on bigboxstore recycled tire hose.. for an application over 60 to 80 feet.. and guessing when you need to run it ... it simply does not work.. in a predictable manner.. across the distance ...

that stuff might be ok for maintenance water in the future.. but if you want to protect your investment.. i would suggest you be proactive in INSURING DEEP PROPER WATERING ... according to the previous link ...

try one of the products at the link .. and add a water shutoff between it and the hose ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 6:29PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Allen, have you considered the expected size of Burford Hollies in a few years?

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 9:15PM
Allen456(8)

Thanks again, Ken. I was considering inexpensive soaker hoses coming from both ends, and each served by a different spigot.

Rhizo, yes, I have. At the closest point, my neighbors house is only 20' away, with windows in each house facing each other. I'm hoping for an eventual 8'-10' high hedge, with the width being about the same. My only concern beyond eventual privacy, is being able to walk between the hedge and the houses. We should each be left with 10', wide enough for vehicle if necessary.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 6:34AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

I'd also consider a good weed block material around the new plants the length of the bed -- as well as a barrier border. Bermuda will grow right back into the area, and maybe even come up from old roots, won't it?

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 9:26AM
Allen456(8)

Dave, I use 2" of mulch to block weeds, sometimes I first add a sheet of corrugated cardboard if I'm mulching an area I don't plan to garden for awhile.

Anyways, 21 dwarf burford hollies are now aligned in a 60' long hedge on the southwest side of my house. Ended up making two passes with a sodcutter to a width of 36", followed by a bicep-busting 30 minute session with a rototiller! Broke up the rootballs (thank goodness I sharpened my machete!) and mulched with pine bark. Thoroughly watered them in, and imagined a smiling Ken standing alongside as I did.

This post was edited by Allen456 on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 6:52

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 6:50AM
Allen456(8)

Before

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 1:27PM
Allen456(8)

After. I'll put a reminder on my calendar to post yearly updates.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
How to grow Wax leaf ligustrum taller
Hi, I think, I have these shrubs around iron and wooden...
ritholtz47
shrub cover to overwinter hydrangeas in zone 5?
anyone use Nue Vue shrub covers filled with leaves...
jager1
Loropetalum issue
Hi- I'm posting again about another shrub at our new...
hafamily5
How long does it take a nandina firepower to get to full size?
I want to buy some 1 gallon nandina firepower shrubs...
tlbean2004
Digging out a Burning Bush
I need to remove 5 mature Burning Bushes. I am redoing...
tigereye
Sponsored Products
Seven Dwarfs Cookie Jar
$59.99 | zulily
Woodstock Wind Chimes of Pluto Silver/White Wash Wind Chime - DCW27
$25.50 | Hayneedle
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs Film Cell Frame
$79.99 | zulily
Ware Clean Living 2 Level Small Animal Cage Multicolor - 16017
$165.81 | Hayneedle
Kaddur Kids Chair in Red
$600.00 | LexMod